The book proposes a common European intellectual framework to evaluate recent developments in European multiculturalism
The heightened security awareness in the wake of the 9/11 attacks and the London and Madrid bombings has resulted in a ‘crisis of multiculturalism’. Now is the time to look at the renewed challenges that multiculturalism faces toda. Each chapter in this interdisciplinary book reviews the actual state of affairs in several countries in relation to the theories behind immigrant minority claims. With a special focus on Muslim immigrants, the contributors look at the value issues entrenched in multiculturalism and the policy challenges and measures adopted to address them.
- Focuses on 7 European countries – Belgium, Britain, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece and Spain
- Gives an overview of different approaches to multiculturalism
- Looks at issues of citizenship, diversity, civic recognition, gender, religious diversity & education, integration, anti-discrimination policies and social policy
The book has 5 core objectives:
- to chart the legal, political and educational challenges posed by migration-related religious, ethnic and cultural diversity in European countries
- to reflect theoretically on those challenges and the value systems involved *to assess the policy solutions adopted in different countries
- to compare between different policies/ models and the ways they are implemented
- to discuss whether all solutions are bound in their national contexts or whether they are relevant across Europe
This book stems out of the EMILIE project (http://emilie.eliamep.gr/) A European approach to multicultural citizenship: Legal, political and educational challenges funded by the European Commission, Directorate General for Research, Sixth Framework Programme, Socio-Economic Sciences and Humanities, during the period 2006-2009.
Title: European multiculturalisms: cultural, religious and ethnic challenges
Authors: Anna Triandafyllidou, Tariq Modood, Nasar Meer (eds.)
Edition: Edinburgh University Press, 2011
Πάρε μέρος στον Διαγωνισμό του Xenodoxeio.gr με δώρο 2 πακέτα δωρεάν διαμονής για 2 Διανυκτερεύσεις με Πρωινό για 2 Άτομα σε 2 Υπέροχα Ξενοδοχεία! Συμπλήρωσε το email σου στη φόρμα συμμετοχής έως 31/7/2017 για να συμμετάσχεις στην κλήρωση που θα πραγματοποιηθεί 1/8/2017.